Monday, April 15, 2013

Interview with photographer Maya Kapouski


About you:
My life is divided in two personalities. In one hand Lucía, the responsability part of me who is writing her PhD and is visual artist. On the other hand Maya, photographer and the experimenter part of me, always thinking about new projects, trips and crazy ideas.
I live and work in Galicia, in the northwest of Spain. A beautifull place that I love.
I have two dogs, Ceibe and Verde, and a turtle.

What is it that attracts you the most of what you have around you? 
I'm in love with my day a day. I have the lucky of share my days with a lovely family, good friends and creative things in each part of my live.
Tell us about your experience as photographer what did it give you?
Photography gives me a way of life. Since I began to take pictures everything becomes to change. Nowadays is my job and the best way for me to share my personal universe.

How you found your first job as fashion photographer?
It success in a very natural way. I have been taking pictures some years ago for artist projects. At the end of my Fine Arts Degree I began studies in Fashion Design that I never finished. My colleges began to ask me if I can take the pictures of their projects and this was the way I made my first fashion shootings.

Three adjectives to describe yourself.
Pasionate, creative, lover

A film, a book and a song.
A film: Dirty dancing
A book: Asklepios by Miguel Espinosa
A song: El cordón de mi corpiño by Antoñita Moreno (It was the song that my grandma sang me when she looked after me)

Favorite web of photography
I follow about 20 photography websites and I don't know which one is my favorite. I love the photographers who appear in them!

What camera do you use? Dou you use one lense?
I use some different kind of cameras. My favorites are a Pentax Super ME, a Olympus XA and a Bronica. I have different lenses and I try to experiment and try all the cameras and complements as I can.

Tell about exhibition if you ‘ve had any.
I have made a lot of exibitions but the most part of them was not such as photographer, they was such as artist (sculpture, performance, installation, etc...) but since this year I have programmed some photography exhibitions to the future.

Do you sell prits? How do you make it and where can someone buy?
No, I don't sell prints nowadays. I have two different kinds of work, my personal work that I publish in my website and for exibitions and the “proffesional work” where I sell the shooting. So if someone wants a shooting or a collaboration they can send me an email to mayakapouski@gmail.com

What was your most big success?
The first time I fried an egg. I hate cooking and I'm afraid of boiling oil so it was a really big success.


Favourite photographer.
Ed Templeton, Juergen Teller, Olaf van Dod and my Dad.

Describe some of your projects
In my work I try to question the values of the adult world and rejects the obligation to leave the teen age and I explore the limits between art and life and the application of one to the other.
I work in some differents areas such as sculpture, photography, installation or design. I love every kind of work and I try to make it the best as I can, no matter in which process.

Your main concept.
Enjoy and be passionate in everything you do.

What is your occupation, job, interest besides photographyNowadays I have the good luck of being working in photography. I'm making my first steps in professional fashion photography, editorials and collaborations with brands and magazines. Also I'm begining to write my PhD in contemporary art and looking for new collaborations.


Which advice would you give someone who wants to become a (professional) fashion photographer?
Don't be afraid of being wrong. Make what you love and what you think is right. Hear your heart and let's risk, and be wrong again and again, this is the best way of open new ways and to innovate.

Your plans.



















No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...