Sunday, May 21, 2017

Interview with photographer ELISE BOULARAN


About you:
A wild cat from south of France.

 What is it that attracts you the most of what you have around you?

 Nature. Describe some of your projects I deliberately use a refined vocabulary and a language without any flourish, for images from the everyday life with a degree of abstraction, which erase all references points. A project like “Apache Palace” is marked by ambiguity, is in the form of fragments, strata, combinations. It’s takes place in research, experiment. I’m attracted by the non-formulated, which is of the unspeakable, the secret. These representations are like some clues of an enigma, and they conjugate or oppose some meanings.

 Your main concept 

It’s better to be bold now than to be sorry later.

what do you want to say by your art, why? 

To say? I don’t know if it’s the right word. But maybe to show, open to question, to explore, to search. For me, it’s necessary to show, to “make visible” a new point of view, and raise questions all the time. A kind of another way of looking. The arts provide a unique way of knowing about experiences, about the world.

Tell us about your experience as photographer what did it give you?
 I now understand more fully the word : to observe.

Three adjectives to describe yourself.
 I asked this question to my friend Mathieu and his answer was : pastel, shiny, fierce.

A film, a book and a song
Persona of Ingmar Bergman. (1966) La clôture des merveilles of Lorette Nobécourt. Gelatinous Cube from the album A Weird Exits of Thee Oh Sees. .


 Do you sell prints? How do you make it and where can someone buy?

 Yes, I do. I work with a photo lab. Picture are printed on fine art paper and often on support like aluminium Dibond. Much depends on the context. If you want something to buy, you can contact me : elise.boularan@gmail.com.

What was your most big success?

A personal exhibition in New York in 2015. And a beautiful group show in San Antonio, Texas, Usa in 2011.

Favourite photographer.

Oh..I don’t know. Maybe around one hundred to tell you. Because I’m attracted to the work and sensibility of many other artists from my generation. But about the big names, I could say Lise Sarfati, Sally Mann, Nan Goldin, Diane Arbus. And Dieter Appelt, Philip-Lorca Dilorcia, Alec Soth and many more...

What is your occupation, job, interest besides photography. describe it.

I’ve other interests and a new project indeed. I’m passionate about outdoor, nature, hiking with my dog, yoga, plants, a big crush and real need for arts & crafts, I’m listening music every day. And a big interest for contemporary dance : actually it’s the most emotional art for me and that triggered my attention. I must admit that I’ve a weakness for caferacer and old Mustangs.

Which advice would you give someone who wants to become a (professional) photographer? 
Precisely, listening to no one. And to develop their own photographic writings.


Your plans. Take pleasure.




















No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...